Friday, 29 March 2013

Falling asleep with your legs hanging off the end of the sofa

Occasionally now I will find myself doing things I never used to, the title of this post for example, at half 8 my work team will be meeting outside the bar for bowling, they have money from christmas and are celebrating the hard work they've put in, but at 8 I found myself with my legs dangling over the edge of the sofa asleep in front of the telly. I have no intention of joining them for a night on the town, despite the fact I have the next 2 days off to recover. I'd way rather be in my own house, crashing out at an insanely early time, and if that doesn't make me ready to be a father, I don't know what more I can do! 

It is tiring this stage, I think thats the thing you aren't warned about, being constantly surrounded by the excitement of a birth. It seems to now be the first thing anyone says 'are you a dad yet', 'how long now'.. 'are you excited' at times I want to shout at them... 'Yes! Of course I'm excited, I'm doing something out of this world exciting, but I'm also really tired of constantly feeling excited and telling everyone how excited I am!' 

I remember the first time I went abroad, I was about 6 years old and we were going to France, the whole time driving down from Sheffield to Plymouth to get the ferry I was trying so hard to stay awake to see the boat, I think I failed at that for the most part, and then I just about managed to keep my eyes open as we drived into the car storage and the moment we were on board, I fell asleep under my mums chair and slept right the way across the channel, exhausted by the days excitement. 

I think this is how I feel now, every day I'm wearing myself out, by the pure excitement bubbling away inside me! It's such a lovely feeling, the never knowing when a gush of water may come and our baby decide she's ready to see the world, but at the same time it's so hard trying to keep your eyes open so you don't miss it that by 8PM you are lying there out for the count. 

And somewhere in the distance I can hear that husky voice of an old woman saying 'Oh bless, he's warn himself out' 

No comments:

Post a Comment